Sep 25, 2012

Healthy Swaps


I thought i would document some of the fun healthier versions of things I have found that are really tasty!

Jello Grapes or Glitter Grapes
These are probably my favorite treat right now.  I eat some of these as dessert every night.  I use green grapes and usually cherry/lime/or strawberry jello (powdered).  Put your grapes (pulled off the vine) in a colander and rinse with cold water. Do not dry them.  Place in a zip lock bag and sprinkle over your favorite jello.  I usually add about 1 tsp - 1 tbs depending on how many grapes i have in the bag.  Close the bag and shake to coat all grapes.  Place in the freezer.  I usually only keep mine in the freezer for 1-3 hours- i prefer them really cold slightly frozen to frozen solid.  These are so good and are a good option for when i have a sweet tooth!

Cauliflower mashed potatoes
Since starting our weightloss journey Chris and i have tried to find healthier options of foods that we love.  I mean who doesn't love mashed potatoes?  I replace the potatoes with cooked cauliflower (I use a modified version of this recipe).  I boil a head of cauliflower until it is tender (usually 6-8 minutes).  I transfer the cooked cauliflower to my blender.  I add about 2 tbs of water, 1/4 cup of sour cream, 2 tbs of shredded cheese, salt and pepper, and 3 tsp of Low Carb - Thick'n potato mix (you can order the mix here).  I just blend until creamy and serve.  The LC mix will thicken up the cauliflower mixture- it gives it the consistency of mashed potatoes.  I have been making these for a while, but just recently discovered the LC mix.  It makes all the difference!  These are delicious!

Cauliflower pizza crust
One thing i have really missed lately is pizza.  So i went on a quest to find a lighter healthier version.  This one  requires you to cook cauliflower (boil again) but pull it out of the pot right as it is fork tender.  You don't want it to get too soft.  Let it cool for a couple of minutes.  Once it is cool grate the cauliflower on the finest part of the grater.  I usually do this over a tea towel.  Once you are finished grating, right out the excess water from the cauliflower.  Add 1 cup of cauliflower to a bowl, 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, and salt and pepper.  Mix to combine.  On a cookie sheet that is sprayed with pam press out the mixture evenly.  I usually make 2-4 small circles with my mixture.  This way while it is baking i can flip it easily.  Bake at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes.  I usually flip mine about 6 minutes in.  Take it out of the oven and top with your favorite things.  Put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes until toppings are heated through. (Recipe source here).  Yall, this is so yummy.  I was skeptical about this, but i was thoroughly impressed.  It is a little labor intensive but very much worth it.

Beet Salad
If you don't like beets you will not like these.  I happen to LOVE beets and like them as a side dish.  I start by roasting mine.  I cut the tops and bottoms off of my beets and wrap each one in aluminum foil.  Then i place them on a cookie sheet and into a 350 degree oven to bake for 1 hour.  Once they are fork tender- i open up the aluminum foil to let them cool.  To remove the skin i just rub them between a paper towel- the skin should come off very easily.  It will be a little messy.  I usually serve these with a Dijon vinaigrette.  To make the vinaigrette i whisk together  1 Tbs of canola or vegetable oil, 1-2 Tbs of dijon mustard, and 1 tsp of vinegar.  

What are some good swaps you have found?!?



4 comments:

  1. OMG these all sound awesome I cant wait to try them, except the beets, but I don’t like beets! Another good sweet swap is Carmel Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of chocolate chips. It's kind of like having cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or mayo in dips. A packet of ranch mix and 16 oz of Greek yogurt - delicious, guilt free way to dip your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca- greek yogurt and I are friends! I have also used it recently in a spaghetti squash casserole- it was awesome! It is a great substitute!

      Delete