I thought i would take a little break from talking about sad things. I have finally started to get back into the swing of things since dad passed. I took an almost 6 week break from cooking and working out. I did both occasionally- but nothing consistent So i am really happy to be back in the gym and back to cooking. Here are some of my favorite go to 'lighter' recipes.
Fish Tacos (minus the taco)
3/4 lb of Cod (or any other fish you prefer)
1/2 Cup of House Autry seafood breader
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Mango, diced
1/2 Can of Black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 Cup of shredded cheese
1/2 Cup diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 Can of Shoe-peg corn, drained
Green Onions (diced)
Spicy Pink Sauce: 1/4 cup of light sour cream, 1/4 cup fat free mayo, 1 tspn of Sriracha
* Add as much sriracha as you would like- the more you add the hotter it is
1. Cut cod up into bite sized pieces. Place cut up fish in plastic bag with seafood breader.
2. Pan fry fish in 1 Tbsp of oil until golden brown on both sides
3. Place half of fish on plate and top with : shredded cheese, shredded cabbage, mango, black beans, tomatoes corn, green onions, spicy pink sauce.
2 Pieces of Salmon
Salt and Pepper
1. I lay out 2 pieces of foil in a cross- both pieces fairly long.
2. Cut up lemon in rounds
3. Place lemon in the middle of the foil.
4. Place salmon on top of lemon. Drizzle with a little evoo and sprinkle with salt and pepper
5. Fold up sides of foil to make a little packet.
6. Bake at 350-375 for 15 minutes (may take longer if piece of fish is bigger).
Yall, this is SO good. I probably have this 2 times a week. It is super easy and fast- with very little clean up (because of the foil packet). I usually serve this with steamed broccoli and sweet potatoes or pierogies.
1 Head of cauliflower
1/4 cup of cheese
Salt and Pepper
1. Boil head of cauliflower until tender. You should be able to get a fork through the thickest part really easily.
2. Put the cauliflower through a ricer or mash with potato masher.
3. Once the cauliflower is at the consistency that you like - add the cheese, salt and pepper
4. Stir and serve
I love this as a side. We actually had it last night. It is a good way to change up your typical boring veggies.
1 or 2 med size zucchini
1/2 of bell pepper - your favorite color (mine is yellow or orange)
1/2 of an onion
handful of mushrooms
1/4 cup of cheese- whatever your favorite is
1/4 cup of bread crumbs- i use panko for crunch
salt and pepper
1. Cut zucchini in half (lengthwise) add a couple TBS of water to dish.
2. Microwave to cook zucchini- about 5 minutes
3. You want the zucchini to be cooked enough to scoop out the middle easily- but not cooked too much that it is mushy.
4. Scoop out the center of the zucchini - set aside. This will be added back into the filling.
5. Saute the mushrooms, onion, peppers, and zucchini that was scooped out. Once cooked add the cheese, salt and pepper
6. Place zucchini ' shells' into a casserole dish.
7. Fill each shell with mixture
8. Top each with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs
9. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until top is golden brown
I usually make these as a side dish- but you can also make these the main dish. I've also added meat- ground turkey or ground beef. These are yummy!