Aug 15, 2012

A new journey

I mentioned in my new years post that i wanted to get healthy this year- which includes losing weight.  I have to be honest that i haven't done much about this so far this year.  My weight was never really a struggle for me until i quit playing tennis.  I guess when you play tennis 4-5 times a week year round, you really don't have to worry about your weight.  However, when i quit playing (college)- i gained weight- not a ton, but probably 20- 25 pounds.  I maintained this weight through college, it was not my ideal weight, but it was one that i got comfortable with.  About 3 years ago, i quit smoking (best decision ever) and i proceeded to put on another 30+ pounds over time.  

None of these are excuses as to why i gained weight- it has been all me.  I completely take responsibility for it- it happened because i made bad decisions regarding my health.  It has really been a source of struggle for me the last couple of years.


Recently Chris and i have started to have the children talk.  While we would love to get pregnant right now- we know deep down that i need to get healthy (or healthier) first.  I have recently had some health issues that could be a result of my weight- the doctors are not sure yet.  Do you know how hard that was to hear- it makes me emotional just typing it out.  It was a huge wake up call to me- that changes need to be made now.  Not tomorrow, or next week, but now.  So Chris and i have set out on our weight loss journey.  We are still very much in the beginning stages of this- but have committed to each other that we will hold each other accountable.  


We have vowed to exercise and eat healthier- right now we are a week in and it is going well.  It is not easy at all- but i know it will eventually get easier.

I want to use this space to record my progress as a way to keep track of how i'm doing, to hold myself accountable.  I want to be able to look back and see what progress i have made.

I have to go to the doctors on Monday to have some blood work done (on my birthday, boooo!).  We will hopefully have some answers after that about my issue.  (I'm not dying or anything- its not a huge problem, but one that will impact us trying to have children when we are ready).

So here is to this new journey- a recap of my first week coming up!



4 comments:

  1. Good for you guys for committing to this for yourselves and for each other! Weight loss is definitely a hard fought, emotional journey. Speaking from the perspective of someone who will have quite a few pounds myself to lose in the next couple of months, I'm looking forward to gaining inspiration from you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! It will be a hard, but good journey!

      Delete
  2. Kristy - good for you girl! It is so hard....but dont feel alone! You can do it - everyone faces some challenge at some point, but the important thing is that you find something you can commit with and stick with it! I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete